Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Senior Scientist, are to:
- Lead implementation of new and innovative methods for predicting microbial performance from genomics, including by building links between genomics and other omic data layers;
- Design and analyze microbiome and metagenome studies to enable discovery and improve understanding of product performance;
- Collaborate with researchers across functions and with local and global data science and IT teams, to drive projects or platform development;
- Contribute to the development of code, bioinformatics analyses pipelines, computational tools, and databases for mining and visualizing large microbial data sets;
- Identify opportunities to extend and improve existing pipelines for genome analysis by introducing new tools and analyses;
- Use mathematical and statistical models, machine and deep learning algorithms, and strong business acumen to deliver insight, recommendations, and solutions;
- Influence business decisions by understanding, interpreting and effectively communicating complex information.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Biology, Bioinformatics, Genomics, Microbial Genomics, Microbial Ecology or related quantitative field with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience OR M.S. with a minimum of 8 years relevant experience;
- Proven ability to handle large genomic data sets efficiently using scripts, databases, and other computational tools;
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python or R), SQL, and Linux;
- Experience working in an HPC environment;
- Experience with quantitative analysis and statistical modeling of biological data, pathway analysis, comparative genomics, and/or transcriptomics;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to prioritize and execute tasks in a complex and agile environment, and drive results within set timeframes;
- Proven record of successful participation in project team;
- Commitment to self-development and to
learning new tools, techniques, and skills.
- Experience with multiomics or systems biology;
- Experience with cloud technologies;
- Experience with molecular plant-microbe interactions, plant pathology and/or entomology;
- Technical leadership and management of projects in a team environment.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Location: CA-West Sacramento
Functional Area: [sap_fa_28]
Entry Level: 5