Senior Manager Lab Services
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Senior Manager Lab Services are to:
- Lead the R&D laboratory services function serving Bayer Radiology medical devices including component fabrication, prototype assembly, equipment / device trouble-shooting and execution of product testing in support of early research, new product development, and life-cycle-engineering across the electro-mechanical and sterile disposables device portfolio;
- Manage the lab services technical staff comprised of automation engineering, software, electrical and mechanical technicians including hiring, coaching, mentoring, development and performance management;
- Lead quarterly objective setting and resource planning to ensure essential business priorities are achieved;
- Meet fluctuating demands by leveraging skilled contractors and contingent labor as needed;
- Develop and manage 3rd party partnerships (testing facilities) that support our medical device testing;
- Perform weekly planning, activity prioritization and resource assignments;
- Manage all laboratory equipment, machinery, tools and associated lab processes ensuring comprehensive asset maintenance, repairs, calibrations, upgrades, replacements and retirements as needed; These include environmental chambers, tensile / compressive load test equipment (i.e. Instrons), shock and vibration tables, EMC chamber and robotic testers;
- Identify and implement capital improvements needed to support future device development capabilities, lab capacity, productivity and efficiency improvements;
- Maintain lab procedures and be audit ready at all times to satisfy applicable regulations such as design controls, quality system process compliance, safety metrics and various test standards including external lab certifications.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- MS in Automation, Electrical, Computer or similar engineering discipline or candidates with a BS degree and extensive technical/functional leadership experience in the medical device field may be considered in lieu of advanced educational requirements;
- 12+ years of progressive technical resource management and development experience, exercising broad technical, project management and organizational skills to maximize functional capability and performance;
- Competence in select, critical product technologies with a systems level perspective;
- Working knowledge of analog / digital circuitry, embedded microprocessor systems and communication protocols including RS232, I2C, Ethernet and RS485;
- Experience with programming languages including Visual Basic, C, C# and LabView;
- Experience anticipating foreseeable technical situations, analyzing, identifying problems, and directing technical resources;
- Experience in building technical organizations to align with portfolio plans and business strategies;
- Ability to ensure appropriate integration and compliance with product development processes;
- Progressive experience preparing, managing expense and capital budgets;
- Strategic and tactical planning skills related to technical staff management, to meet changing business needs and priorities;
- Development and implementation of capital improvements initiatives having a direct impact on efficiency, upgrades, and replacement of assets;
- Excellent trouble-shooting, problem solving, analytical skills and sound judgment;
- Strong organizational communication, networking, leadership and management skills to direct diverse, multidisciplinary functions.
- Medical device experience or similar regulated industry;
- Laboratory management experience overseeing a medium-sized technical team in medical device R&D or manufacturing environment.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Functional Area: [sap_fa_2]
Entry Level: 3