Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Research Associate, are to:
- Manage day to day operations in field, greenhouses, and vertical farming at San Juan Bautista site and off-site locations;
- Ensure application and adoption of best practices in seed handling, geo-positioning (GIS/GPS), crop management, irrigation, plant nutrition, plant health, and harvest to deliver quality data and optimize results for cost, quality and yield;
- Schedule activities according to crop cycles, supervise and manage contractor labor, and maintain records and supplies;
- Apply proper planning tools to manage tasks such as capacity request and management; fertigation, pollination and harvest;
- Model daily pollination and hand harvesting efforts to achieve efficiency and maintain accuracy of resource usage and forecasting;
- Leverage metrics applications and quality control processes to realize accuracy, efficiency and expanded improvements to protocols;
- Capture data in Windows and iOS operating systems (desktop computing, iPhones, iPads) and conduct data quality check and assurance to enable timely advancement of vegetable products;
- Partner with stakeholders across the organization to deliver results within the crops;
- Explore new technologies to increase capacity and speed up current processes;
- Proactively identify opportunities to assist in improving established procedures, and lead troubleshooting activities through root cause analysis and troubleshooting techniques;
- Ensure compliance with Worker Protection Standards (WPS) as well as Bayer safety guidelines and housekeeping practices;
- Perform tasks to ensure compliance with Bayer policies and quality standard, including safeguarding of equipment daily use logs, calibration and maintenance.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Minimum of B.S. in Horticulture, Agronomy or related field;
- 5+ years of crop management experience;
- Qualified Applicator License (have or ability to obtain within 3 months);
- Experience in commercial vegetable crop production;
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills;
- Demonstrated ability to influence partners and customers;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team-based and cross-functional team environment;
- Passion to grow and willingness to be intellectually challenged; willingness to influence and inspire others;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Ability to lift up to 60lbs.
- Experience in protected culture environments, highly desirable;
- Experience in growing lettuce, broccoli and spinach in greenhouse and/or open field, a plus.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Location: CA-Salinas, CA-San Juan Bautista
Functional Area: [sap_fa_35]
Entry Level: 5