Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Summer Intern
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Summer Intern, are to:
- Survey the facility for confined spaces, conduct an assessment of the permit-entry requirements for each in accordance with California/OSHA regulation, and update the facility’s existing confined space inventory;
- Audit the site’s existing Walking and Working Surfaces and Ladder Safety standards against California/OSHA requirements and propose program revisions as necessary to address any identified deficiencies;
- Audit the site’s chemical inventory to verify the accuracy of hazardous material volumes, locations, and hazard;
- Review chemical hazard labelling in the field and propose corrective actions plans to address any deficiencies in the site’s inventory and labeling procedures;
- Digitize archival records and review current recordkeeping procedures to identify opportunities for improved efficiency;
- Propose practical changes to Health, Safety, Environmental and Secutiy(HSES) recordkeeping practices as appropriate to minimize paper records;
- Inventory, calibrate, and maintain the site’s Industrial Hygiene monitoring equipment;
- Learn how sound level meters, noise dosimeters, colorimetric sampling tubes, and other equipment work and how they are used to ensure a safe work environment;
- Assist HSES staff as needed with continuous improvement projects for other occupational health, safety, and environmental programs;
- Perform field surveys in utility/mechanical areas, which may require climbing ladders;
- Manipulate chemical storage containers and should be comfortable handling hazardous chemicals in closed containers;
- Gowning may be required to enter some areas, but will not be a routine daily requirement.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Currently enrolled in sophomore year or higher pursuring a Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in occupational safety, biological sciences, environmental sciences, engineering, or science field of studies;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to deal professionally with internal customers of various organizational levels;
- Ability to work effectively within a departmental team and with members of the same or higher organizational levels;
- Excellent organization, documentation, prioritization and scheduling skills together with an overall desire to learn;
- Basic problem solving and project management abilities together with a professional image;
- Ability to work independently and multi-task;
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office with intermediate level proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Occupational health & safety experience.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.