Functional Safety Expert
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Functional Safety Expert, are to:
- Provide functional safety support for capital projects at multiple sites;
- Support audit compliance with process risk mitigation;
- Demonstrate facilitation skills to reach consensus;
- Support recruiting and development of personnel;
- Participate in all preliminary and process safety reviews with particular emphasis on Process Control Technology (PCT) systems and equipment, interlocking, alarming, safety systems, etc.;
- Interface with other engineering disciplines, designers, operations, and maintenance personnel as necessary to achieve project objectives;
- Be responsible for cost and schedule within assigned area of responsibility;
- Identify opportunities to extend coverage to additional sites/locations to safeguard Bayer's operations;
- Support sites within area of responsibility with consulting and training to ensure technical knowledge is adequate;
- Act as an expert regionally and globally, providing input into site, regional and global procedures;
- Providing training to the larger Plant & Process Safety (PPS) community.
International and Domestic relocation assistance is available as well as Visa Sponsorship.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least ten years’ of experience, Masters’ Degree with at least eight years’ of experience, Ph.D. Degree with at least six years of experience in chemical, industrial or pharmaceutical facilities in Instrumentation & Electrical (I&E)/PCT design and engineering
- Demonstrated ability to Lead a regional effort or team;
- Excellent knowledge of PCT documentation, automation validation, quality assurance, etc.;
- Knowledge in Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), Safety Integrity Level (SIL), Safety Requirement Specifications (SRS) and Safety Lifecycle Reviews (SLC);
- Thorough working knowledge of process safety concepts and methodologies;
- Knowledge of recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices (RAGAGEP);
- Knowledge of project control skills including project planning, scheduling, cost control, and contract development;
- Experience in providing field support and participating in check out, commissioning, and start-up of process control installations;
- Systematic approach to problem definition and solution development;
- Ability to work as a member of cross-functional teams and to participate in multiple projects simultaneously;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills to deal with people at different levels of management, engineering and design, and with internal partners (e.g. engineering, maintenance, operations) and suppliers of PCT material and services;
- Excellent verbal and written skills in order to communicate with and
- obtain cooperation from team members involved with engineering, design, check out, commissioning and start-up;
- Demonstrated ability to write comprehensive technical and scope documents required for project execution;
- Willingness and ability to travel 20-40% of time when job assignment dictates.
- Bachelor/Master's Degree or Ph.D., in Electrical Engineering.
- Excida or TUV Functional Safety certification
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Location: MO-Kansas City