Fermentation Graduate Scholar/Industrial Postdoc
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Fermentation Graduate Scholar/Industrial Postdoc, are to:
- Plan, conduct and analyze media and process development experiments aimed to improve overall yield and productivity of microbial fermentations;
- Provide analysis and feedback about experimental results to supervisor(s), highlighting important results and defining next step experiments;
- Develop experiments that provide insight of the interactions between fermentation conditions and the physiology, productivity and stability of the relevant biological material;
- Conduct experiments on a variety of scales, ranging from shake flasks and micro-reactors to bench-scale bioreactors;
- Optimize fermentation processes through media and process development;
- Be responsible for lab equipment specific to research expertise, including maintenance;
- Be responsible for assigned lab areas;
- Coordinate and cooperate on research activities with peers, supervisors, and subordinates;
- Communicate effectively by listening, documentation, and presentation;
- Use your broad understanding of instrumentation and scientific principles;
- Stay current with literature and the latest technology developments in the areas of interest.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- M.S. in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering/Microbiology, or a related field, plus a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience; OR
- Ph.D. in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering/Microbiology, or a related field (or nearing substantial completion, provided all Ph.D. requirements are successfully completed within 6 months of employment or start date) with no relevant experience;
- Previous industry experience, or hands on experience with microbial fermentation processes;
- Basic understanding of bacterial metabolism and expression systems;
- Ability to conceptualize, design and execute experiments that address research questions;
- Research experience in field of expertise;
- Broad understanding of scientific principles.
- Working knowledge of molecular biology, biochemistry or proteomics/transcriptomics;
- Experience with sporulating bacteria;
- Proficiency with experimental design, statistical analysis, and scientific instrumentation.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Location: CA-West Sacramento
Functional Area: [sap_fa_25]
Entry Level: 3