Deputy Director, Communications (Berkeley)
Your tasks and responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of this role, Deputy Director, Communications, are to:
- Develop, implement, and sustain a biotech innovation narrative and communications strategy that supports the strategic vision of the Bayer pharmaceutical business especially as it relates to its Bay Area presence;
- Accountable for executive communications positioning and messages for the Head of Product Supply Biotech and the Head of Supply Center Berkeley, including presentations, talking points, and remarks for external and significant (e.g., town halls) internal engagements;
- Oversee and advise on internal communications for the Berkeley site to educate and engage employees in support of the Product Supply Biotech and Supply Center Berkeley strategies;
- Collaborate with various cross-functional leadership and team members in the development of external communications strategies for key strategic initiatives. Coordinate and partner with global and U.S. communications in Product Supply, Pharma and Corporate;
- Oversee and advise the development and implementation of strategic internal communications plans that drive employee engagement and foster a sense of community, while reinforcing the company values and vision;
- Work in partnership with US Pharmaceutical communications teams on initiatives to ensure alignment with overall US Pharmaceuticals vision. Work with the US Pharma Communications Deputy Director of Internal & Executive Communications to provide executive communications counsel and support to the US Pharmaceutical leadership;
- Partner with the U.S. Internal Communications team to ensure that Berkeley and San Francisco are positively represented and profiled country-wide. Prepare and publish content for US intranet and related employee news channels such as news features, profiles, event summaries, etc.;
- Maintain, build and evolve relationships with local and regional key external stakeholders, including journalists, advocates and community/business leaders, etc.;
- Monitor and measure impact of communications programs and initiatives with key stakeholder audiences. Make recommendations as needed to ensure communications goals are achieved;
- Manage and guide the work of the
Communications Manager to ensure alignment of activities and
individual growth and development.
Who you are
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor's degree preferably in communications, journalism and/or business administration is required; master's degree a plus;
- 12+ years’ experience in developing, leading, and implementing successful strategic communications programs and operations, preferably within a pharmaceutical company or health care system.
- Demonstrated success in developing, managing and delivering research-based best-in-class communication strategies and programs in a large, complex, global organization;
- Experience with developing and implementing earned and social media strategies; established relationships in the Bay Area is strongly preferred.
- Experience supporting senior executives and working with leadership teams to develop and implement strategic leadership communications programs;
- Experience in developing and/or managing data analysis and reporting for internal communications, programs, campaigns, etc.;
- Ability to understand and produce clear, compelling, motivating content and effectively and succinctly communicate complex biopharma concepts in a variety of formats, including key messages, Q&A, executive speeches, collateral materials, video scripts and PowerPoint presentations, etc.;
- Superior interpersonal communication, teamwork, collaboration, supervisory and client service skills; demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships across a variety of stakeholders constituenciesd; strong customer service orientation;
- Ability to manage complex and sensitive communications issues while maintaining strict confidentiality;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects with a sense of urgency;
- Domestic and international travel may be required.
Domestic Relocation Available
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Functional Area: [sap_fa_6]
Entry Level: 5