Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Staff Data Engineer
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Staff Data Engineer, are to:
- Lead and participate in design sessions with Enterprise and Hub Data Stewards, Engineering teams, Data Scientists, Product Managers, business and Information Technology (IT) stakeholders, that result in the documentation for data processing, storage, and delivery solutions;
- Understand business capability needs and processes as they relate to IT solutions through partnering with Product Managers and business and functional IT stakeholders, and apply this knowledge to defining business problems that need to be solved;
- Initiate and lead the evaluation of new technologies, like Domino or Redshift, or new languages, like Go or React, including performing POCs and presenting results to others, to provide technical recommendations;
- Help the team establish and improve processes and methodologies, like SCRUM or Kanban, and/or lead piloting new ones;
- Implement data solutions according to design documentation using a variety of tools and programming languages, like Kafka, SQL and non-SQL databases, Scala, Go, etc., and following team’s established processes and methodologies;
- Facilitate and participate in code reviews, retrospectives, functional and integration testing, and other team activities focused on improving quality of delivery;
- Provide reliable estimates for large scale projects;
- Initiate collaboration with Product Owners, other engineers, and data stewards within the team and across data, technical platforms, and product teams on planning and aligning roadmaps, delivery dates, and integration efforts;
- Coach and mentor junior and aspiring Data Engineers on the team and across the data and engineering communities;
- Facilitate various cross-team efforts, like Scrum of Scrums and Release Planning, focused on large scale roadmap alignments, sharing information, solving a broad variety of problems, or improving processes;
- Discuss effectively work or provide detail to the right level of the audience, which includes business partners, data scientists, engineering teams, etc.;
- Create and maintain design and code documentation in GitHub, Haystack, SharePoint, and/or other repositories used by the team.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience with at least eight years of professional software engineering experience;
- At least five years of experience engineering data-intensive software using streaming and resource-based design principles;
- At least five years of fluency in an object-oriented or functional language such as Java, Scala, Go, etc.;
- Demonstrated experience with data architecture and modeling, including designing both logical and physical models for datasets;
- Proficiency in working with relational databases such as Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, etc.;
- Proven experience modeling large datasets in distributed databases such as Apache Cassandra;
- At least three years of experience at least one NoSQL database such as (but not limited to) Neo4j, Cassandra, etc.;
- Strong interpersonal skills and desire to work in a highly collaborative environment;
- Familiarity with the relevant industry trends.
- Experience with agriculture, life sciences, bioinformatics, biochemistry, genetics, biology, or related disciplines;
- Platform-as-a-Service software such as Cloud Foundry or Kubernetes;
- Stream processing, e.g. Kafka, Spark Streaming, Akka, etc.;
- Knowledge of machine learning or other data science practices;
- Experience contributing to open source projects.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the "Passion to Innovate" and the "Power to Change", we encourage you to apply now. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
IMPORTANT NOTE for POTENTIAL US CANDIDATES: Bayer active employees are required to disclose their vaccination status and if fully vaccinated, provide proof of vaccination status before participating in approved activities for fully vaccinated employees. Bayer defines fully vaccinated in alignment with CDC which is two weeks after completing the two-dose vaccine regimen or two weeks after completing the one-dose regimen. Additionally, if candidates are invited on site as visitors for in person interviews, they must provide proof of being vaccinated and comply with all safety protocols.
State: Residence Based
Location: Residence Based
Reference Code: 533844
Functional Area: Information Technology
Entry Level : Professional