Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Senior Project Manager
This position is responsible for planning and directing the development, execution and completion of major strategic Bayer capital investment projects in close alignment with Bayer’s Divisional Venture Management. Responsibilities include (along with Venture Management) concept development, establishment of project teams, basic engineering, detailed engineering and design, overall procurement, construction, commissioning and qualification of new cGMP production facilities, cGMP laboratories or modification of existing cGMP facilities. Also included is responsibility to manage safety, regulatory and environmental compliance.
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the implementation of significant capital investment projects for the pharmaceutical, biologics or consumer health businesses of Bayer. This includes (along with Venture Management) concept development, establishment of project teams, basic engineering, process transfer and optimization, technical and economic evaluation of alternatives, scope definition and control, estimating, scheduling, development of funding request, cost and schedule compliance, detailed engineering and design, compliance with engineering, safety and environmental standards and procedures, permit applications, compliance with cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices), procurement of goods and services, commissioning, qualification and potentially validation;
- Identify requirements and secure the necessary engineering disciplines, engineering services, procurement and construction support to execute the capital plans and/or the assigned projects. Supervise the activities of project engineers and discipline personnel assigned to the projects;
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with the many support groups within the Corporation to obtain timely input of their requirements into the capital projects and their assistance in project execution. These Departments or groups include Operations, Quality, HSE (Health, Safety & Environment), Process & Plant Safety, Site Engineering & Maintenance (Process, Mechanical and PCS), Plant Administration and Planning, Purchasing, Accounting, R&D and Law Departments as well as Regulatory Affairs Departments, if applicable;
- Be a focal point between the Project Team and the Steering Committee on project issues and decisions;
- Prepare and execute Capital Projects in accordance with department vision, mission, commitment and goals. Includes selection of engineering, procurement and construction approaches, selection of potential vendors and contractors, evaluation of bids and approval of successful candidates. Also includes qualification and validation approaches, if applicable;
- Provide management with updated analysis and projections on the status of capital projects focusing on management of change, schedule compliance, cost control and major project risks;
- Develop execution strategy and actively manage risk reduction program. Assure that relevant best practices/lessons learnt are implemented in the program. Ensure that technical procedures are followed, and tools of industry standard are applied. Have up-to-date knowledge about internal regulations and company policies;
- Maintain a close working relationship with Venture management to define, plan, budget, and execute required capital projects. Support Venture Management as needed to develop business case, project objectives and preliminary planning. Also included is direct technical and economic input for funding preparation.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering and a minimum of 10 plus years of experience in engineering or engineering related fields (MS 8+ years, PhD 6+ years);
- This position requires in-depth knowledge in the execution of Capital Projects;
- This position requires an in-depth knowledge of Pharma/Biopharma process technology, project engineering management principles and practices as well as Pharma related regulations;
- Success candidates will possess several years professional work experience as Project Area Manager/Engineering Manager in investment projects, international and multicultural experience preferable;
- This position requires an individual with managerial abilities to supervise and lead a large group of technical people with a wide range of specialties;
- Experience is required in all phases of a project from conceptual planning and design through qualification/validation and regulatory licensing;
- This position requires significant experience directly related to the principles and procedures (both in-house and outsourcing methods) of process/project engineering and experience in controlling and integrating the activities associated with design/construction projects;
- This person must have a broad technical knowledge encompassing basics in engineering disciplines, business/finance, contract negotiations, personnel, etc.
- In addition, the evaluation of proposals from various levels of people and groups is frequent and requires good communicative skills and the ability to influence and direct others toward common objectives;
- Excellent communication skills; customer focus; ability to deal with ambiguity and conflicts;
- Willingness to execute projects at remote locations (i.e. Latin America) with location assignment in project location or travel at greater than 60% of time.
- Experience with cell & gene therapy;
- Experience with biological development laboratories;
- Chemical / Bio/ Process Engineering or equivalent;
- PMP Certification;
- Professional engineer certification;
- Post-degree MS or MBA in Project Management;
- Secondary language (Spanish) preferred.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the "Passion to Innovate" and the "Power to Change", we encourage you to apply now. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Reference Code: 83189
Functional Area: Engineering & Technology
Entry Level : Professional