Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Health Safety Environmental Specialist
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Health Safety Environmental (HSE) Specialist, are to:
- Act as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for safety and environmental programs (OSHA, DOH, EPA, etc.) and guide, mentor, train and coach Program Owners and site personnel (~600EE) to ensure overall compliance of specific safety programs;
- Ensure the freedom of operation of the sites in the region by compliance with legislation and the corporate requirements related to the environment, safety and occupational medicine;
- Participate in facility HSE compliance audits, inspections, and risk assessments, including participation during corporate audits;
- Collaborate cross-functionally with multi-disciplinary groups, such as Site Leaders, Regional HSE, Site HSE and technical personnel to establish cost effective and appropriate measures to reduce risks, comply with safety and health regulations, and to realize established objectives;
- Work across Hawaii locations to oversee the development, implementation and evaluation of site procedures to assure personnel, contractor and facility compliance to regulatory and company requirements;
- Actively champion the collection, dissemination, and execution of best practice sharing within the region;
- Act as a change agent to effectively identify, communicate, and further evolve continuous improvement efforts with the intent to increase efficiency and reduce risks throughout the region;
- Ensure completion of incident investigations, root cause analysis, and trend analysis for incidents, including the identification of corrective actions, tracking actions to completion, and verification of the effectiveness of actions taken;
- Support preparation of HSE permits and reports to ensure regulatory compliance with the operation and construction of air permits, waste management, worker protection, and Tier II requirements;
- Provide technical and functional support to capital projects, new equipment purchases, expansions, mergers and acquisitions, divestments, and expense spending related to site improvement plans;
- Influence key partners in a cross-functional environment to drive results, innovation, and collaboration at multi-functional sites;
- Collaborate with HSE Coordinators, Specialists and Technicians across the state to ensure compliance, consistency and use of best practices across Hawaii;
- Lead and develop team members across the sites;
- Mentor, coach and maintain a healthy working environment.
- Position entails driving a company vehicle (pooled or assigned to the individual). This may include being required to drive greater than 5,000 business miles annually in a personal, pooled, or rented vehicle OR being expected to frequently drive a pooled car as part of your job duties regardless of mileage
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Occupational Health, Industrial Hygiene, Safety management, or related field with at least four years of progressive experience OR Master’s degree with at least two years of professional experience related to HSE within the Agricultural, Manufacturing, Pharmaceutical, Research, Healthcare or Chemical industry;
- Technical experience and acumen with OSHA, EPA, and State Specific requirements;
- Working knowledge of OSHA and EPA standards that impact Bayer operations;
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills including the capability to clearly present information to influence others through oral or written means;
- Demonstrated decision-making ability and problem-solving skills.
- Valid driver’s license. Driving record (MVR) will be reviewed and must meet guidelines based on the company’s Risk Screening for Hiring Drivers.
- Professional designation (CSP, RSO, CIH, CHMM, etc.);
- Experience implementation ISO-like HSE Management Systems.
Reference Code: 183901
Functional Area: Sustainability, Health, Safety, Environment
Entry Level : Professional