Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Head of Microbial Chemistry
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Head of Chemistry Biologics Research and Development, are to:
- Take ownership as a whole for developing MRT innovation and overarching discovery strategy, including the use of “Omics” and predictive capabilities allocating resources and governance of discovery and Phase I research projects;
- Effectively plan and manage departmental budget (esp. capital and operational expenditure and training budget allocated to direct reports);
- Be responsible for setting and managing departmental budget, assigning resources to projects to insure most efficient advancement of cross functional projects;
- Oversee the departmental operations, including continuous commitment to safety;
- Develop and maintain a multi-year plan for space, hiring, budget, collaborations and capital investment;
- Provide primary leadership and decision making for Biologics Natural Product Chemistry (NPC), Biochemistry, Metabolomics/Proteomics and Analytical Chemistry platform;
- Lead and implement program to predict, identify, chemically characterize and quantify bioactive compounds in cooperation with interdisciplinary project teams;
- Assess external licensing opportunities and manage multiple funded academic collaborations;
- Partner globally with other chemistry-related projects to acquire and build cutting edge technical platforms for predictive and high throughput analysis;
- Insure adequate resources available to service projects and provide reliable quantitative data;
- Standardize and transfer these methods to other research sites and Product Supply/QHSE;
- Coach and professionally develop team of three direct reports (senior scientists) and 15 total staff in accordance with Bayer Leadership Strategy;
- Collaborate with legal to develop microbial chemical patent strategy for new microbial actives and their secondary metabolites.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor of Science with at least 14 years of experience or Master of Science with at least 12 years of experience or Ph.D. in Life Sciences with at least eight years experience and a demonstrated track record utilizing cutting edge chemistry technologies in R&D pipeline and projects;
- At least four years of experience of technical leadership experience with a demonstrated ability to grow a team of people managers and individual contributors;
- Track record of strong people leadership, management and development skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with proven ability to communicate, collaborate with senior management, peers and direct reports to deliver measurable results.
- Ability to set strategy and vision and translate it in platform priorities;
- Experience aligning technical strategy with business strategy;
- Ability to influence and lead in a matrix organization;
- Persistence, assertiveness, execution orientation in an ambiguous environment;
- Strategic thinker with strong innovation mindset.
- Experience in integrating Metabolomics, Proteomics, Genomics in the Discovery of Agricultural products.
Reference Code: 199043
Functional Area: Biological R&D
Entry Level : Professional