Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Breeding Operations Associate
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Breeding Operations Associate, are to:
- Manage day to day operations in field, greenhouses, and farming operations on and off-site;
- Ensure application and adoption of best practices in seed handling, geo-positioning (GIS/GPS), crop management, irrigation, plant nutrition, plant health, and harvest to deliver quality data and optimize results for cost, quality and yield;
- Schedule activities according to crop cycles, supervise and manage contractor labor, and maintain records and supplies;
- Apply proper planning tools to manage tasks such as capacity request and management (transplanting, fertigation, pollination and harvest);
- Coordinate with Pipeline Enablement Associates to own the plan and labor execution for breeding operational tasks as planned, including marker sampling and trial plan execution (seed packet filling, trial preparation and sowing, trial execution, harvest and broad data collection) to relinquish trial sets back to breeding;
- Model daily pollination and hand harvesting efforts to achieve efficiency and maintain accuracy of resource usage and forecasting;
- Leverage metrics applications and quality control processes to realize accuracy, efficiency and expanded improvements to protocols;
- Conduct and design implementation of Farm-scape, IPM program and Bayer Green Farm Strategy, this includes scouting, beneficial insect augmentation, field planting design and data collection;
- Have ownership, monitor and help create automated irrigation schedules using AMI Software;
- Capture data in Windows and iOS operating systems (desktop computing, iPhones, iPads) and conduct data quality check and assurance to enable timely advancement of vegetable products;
- Partner with stakeholders across the organization to deliver results within the crops;
- Take initiative of new technologies to increase capacity, speed up current processes, and deploy novel technologies in data collection;
- Identify, proactively, opportunities to assist in improving established procedures, and lead troubleshooting activities through root cause analysis and troubleshooting techniques;
- Ensure compliance with Worker Protection Standards (WPS) as well as Bayer safety guidelines and housekeeping practices;
- Perform tasks to ensure compliance with Bayer policies and quality standard, including safeguarding of equipment daily use logs, calibration and maintenance;
- Position entails driving a company vehicle (pooled or assigned to the individual). This may include being required to drive greater than 5,000 business miles annually in a personal, pooled, or rented vehicle OR being expected to frequently drive a pooled car as part of your job duties – regardless of mileage;
- Position requires driving for the company that will (may) fall under DOT/FMCSA jurisdiction. This may entail the hauling of trailers, product, supplies or equipment in a safe manner.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least five years of crop management, either in open field or in in a greenhouse environment or Master’s Degree with at least two years of experience;
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills;
- Demonstrated ability to influence partners and customers;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team-based and cross-functional team environment;
- Passion to grow and willingness to be intellectually challenged;
- Willingness to influence and inspire others;
- Ability to lift up to 60lbs;
- Valid driver’s license. Driving record (MVR) will be reviewed and must meet guidelines based on the company’s Risk Screening for Hiring Drivers;
- DOT medical card or the ability to obtain one through successfully completing and passing a DOT physical. In addition, candidate must be able to meet all applicable DOT/FMCSA criteria. Drivers with previous DOT driving experience may be required to undergo FMCSA safety checks and applicable review;
- 30% local travel required.
- Preferred area of study in Horticulture, Agronomy or related field;
- Part 107 UAV Pilot License.
Domestic Relocation may be provided for this role.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the "Passion to Innovate" and the "Power to Change", we encourage you to apply now. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Reference Code: 300125
Functional Area: R&D other jobs
Entry Level : Professional