Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Breeder - Tomato
The Tomato Breeder is a unique, exciting opportunity for an individual who is passionate about crop improvement to develop high-performing germplasm with a focus on yield, agronomic and horticulture traits, disease tolerance, and consumer traits. This individual will directly interact with key partners throughout global Bayer Crop Science to co-design the strategy, methods, and tools necessary to deliver superior parental lines and assess first look hybrids to enable delivering high quality products to our customers. This role offers the opportunity to work with the world's largest global veg germplasm pools and incorporate advanced breeding techniques and predictive analytics to drive precision plant breeding. It will be a key member of the America’s Tomato breeding team, which will collaboratively leverage regional and global colleagues to continue to develop leading hybrid products.
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Breeder - Tomato, are to:
- Manage a breeding pipeline from population creation through field testing to evaluate and advance the highest performing germplasm;
- Drive development and implementation of new breeding strategies, technologies, operational processes and digital capabilities;
- Integrate data science throughout the breeding process to enable a cognitive decision-making workflow and drive automation of downstream operations;
- Contribute and influence strategic planning at division and group levels;
- Foster strong collaborative relationships with enabling teams to deliver a robust pipeline and ensure meaningful knowledge transfer during pipeline hand-offs;
- Demonstrate an expanded sphere of scientific influence;
- Work across crops and global regions to execute the appropriate experiments that will thoroughly evaluate germplasm to achieve commercial portfolio targets;
- Foster the breeding pipeline through close collaboration with logistics, operations, molecular laboratories and advanced phenotyping teams;
- Explore new breeding methodologies and technologies that will revolutionize the plant breeding process;
- Develop people by working closely with research station management to fully participate in staff development.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Master of Science in Plant Breeding, Genetics or related fields with at least eight years of relevant experience or Ph.D. in Plant Breeding, Genetics or related fields with at least four years of relevant experience;
- Strong background in plant breeding, quantitative genetics, experimental design, statistical analysis or data science;
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional and cross-cultural teams to achieve common goals;
- Demonstrated experience leading and influencing activities of cross functional teams without direct reporting relationships;
- Ability to lead and influence key stakeholders through challenges and opportunities;
- Facilitates solutions;
- Results orientation with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Familiarity with data science and computer programming and a demonstrated ability to perform data analysis with large datasets;
- Experience with automated phenotyping/remote sensing and the interpretation of imaging data;
- Experience in coding software such as "R", "Python", etc.
Reference Code: 176365
Functional Area: Chemical R&D
Entry Level : Professional